Subject: James House

From: Chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2022 08:44:34 +0100

Good morning Kristy, 

I have some good news and some not so good news about the motorised
blinds I came to see at James House on Tuesday. The good news is that
new batteries do bring the blind that I took away back to life and the
remote works. 

The not so good news is that the motor is temperamental as to when it
responds to the remote. Sometimes it rolls down, sometimes it decides
to stop half way, and sometimes it won't respond at all for a few
presses of the button. Obviously I don't know if this is the case for
all of the blinds but I would suggest that we visit again, replace all
of the batteries, and see if we can get the blinds to respond how they
should. 

If this fails then the next best thing would be to either convert them
to manual chain operation or look at replacing the motors.
Alternatively we could skip the first step and just look at switching
them to manual if you would prefer. 

Please let me know your thoughts. 

Kind regards, 

Chris
-- 
Chris Flood
Sales Manager 
Talbot & Son (Blinds) Ltd
(01624) 629940
www.talbots.im